Full disclosure: this is not a question that was put to me directly or personally. It’s one I elected to answer, so you, Dear Reader, may prepare yourself for the partisan revulsion that follows.
He has serious cognitive and character flaws,1-5 and these translate into incompetence across many (if not most) fields and functions, with the exception, perhaps, of bullying and gaslighting, things he seems to be rather good at, by all accounts. Even the things his devotees like to credit him with—business acumen and wealth creation—have been resoundingly debunked.6
I enjoy how multiple award-winning journalist and political commentator, George F. Will, puts it, in his characteristically caustic and articulate way, in this interview. I’ll let you see for yourself; skip to 0:40 to get straight to the discussion.
1) Sword, R; Zimbardo, P. “The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump”, Psychology Today, Sep. 2017
2) Sword, R; Zimbardo, P. “The Elephant in the Room”, Psychology Today, Feb. 2017
3) Goldberg, J. “Unthinkable: 50 Moments That Define an Improbable Presidency”, The Atlantic, Jan. 2019
4) Brigham, B. “Law Professor: Trump Is A Cowardly Sadist Who Is Destroying Federal Workers’ Lives While Performing For His Base”, Raw Story, Jan. 2019
5) Edwards, D. “Clinical Sociopath Trump’s Mental Illness Helps Him Lie To People”, Raw Story, Jan. 2019
6) Reich, R. “My Coffee With A Trump Supporter”, RobertReich.org, Sep. 2016